Alyssa’s Cherry Balsamic Sauce
Written by

IMG_8426

We’re approaching the end of cherry season, but I’m doing everything I can to prolong it!  I’m planning on making a double batch of this sauce that I can pull out of the refrigerator for the next few weeks and spoon over everything: yogurt, oatmeal, toast, ice cream, pound cake, brownies… and maybe even in a cocktail?  And definitely drizzled over my new favorite treat, steam cakes.

IMG_8399

Carla introduced me to this delicious treat that she found in San Francisco’s Japantown.  It’s a fluffy, moist cake that reminds me vaguely of angel food cake.  The round, pillow-y pieces of heaven come in either vanilla or cheese flavors.  The vanilla is my favorite, and it’s terrific on it’s own.  But every time I try it, I can’t help but imagine its endless possibilities for sauces and toppings.  It’s like a blank canvas!  Macerated strawberries, chocolate-bourbon sauce, fresh peaches and whipped cream, and my favorite cherry-balsamic sauce.

Update: if the steam cakes sound interesting to you, check out Carla’s recipe here!

IMG_8411

It’s not too sweet, letting the flavor of the cherries shine through.  I used fresh cherries, but I think frozen ones would work just fine.  You might not need as much water if you use frozen ones, though, and check the label to see if there’s any added sugar before add the full amount in the recipe.  If you need to pit fresh cherries, this works perfectly.  Although my kitchen looked a little bit like a crime scene afterward!

IMG_8384

Cherry-Balsamic Sauce

Combine the cherries, sugar and water in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.  Simmer for 10 minutes, skimming foam off the surface.  Turn off heat and stir in the balsamic.

IMG_8423

8 Responses to “Alyssa’s Cherry Balsamic Sauce”

1. Jaclyn says:

Ooo this looks good. I think I’m gonna need this on vanilla bean ice cream.

I have a surplus of cherries that I’m trying to do something with.

Did you use sweet or sour cherries?

2. Cheryl says:

What would you suggest as a fall topping for steamcakes?

• Alyssa says:

I would definitely try stewed persimmons! Or poached pears with vanilla bean and/or bourbon would be good, but a creamier pear like bosc (not asian pears). Oh man, I’m inspired now, might have to try this and post for next week?

• Cheryl says:

Great idea! Yes, you should definitely post something! I’ll be on vacation so I can laze about dreaming up ideas.. How about an adzuki bean? Not too traditional a recipe, but something inspired.. Or even a blistered grape red wine reduction sort of thing.. AHH! If only cherries were still in season..

• Alyssa says:

Hope you’re going somewhere warm and sunny! Let me know if you come up with something fun :)

• Cheryl says:

Does Playa del Carmen count? :) And I had an idea.. possibly a cranberry-strawberry/raspberry chutney sort of thing? Something sweet to balance out the brightness of the cranberries.. maybe even apples or something ACTUALLY seasonal. Thoughts?

3. […] Cherries!  They’re here!  They’re one of my favorite fruits.  But their peak growing season is so short, so let’s make the most of the them while they’re here, okay?  And maybe we can start with this cherry ice cream.  I tried not to cook the cherries too long because I wanted to retain their freshness while still imparting their beautiful color into a syrup that would tint the final ice cream a lovely pink.  I think it worked, but you should make it and tell me what you think!   […]