Isn’t it cruel? Just when Mother Nature gives us such a bounty of produce, she also turns the furnace on full blast. It’s way too hot to turn on an oven or use a burner these days. So this raw zucchini pasta dish is a terrific solution: it uses some of that bumper crop of zucchini and lets you create a beautiful, healthy meal with no heat.
This dish is probably technically a salad, but it eats more like pasta. You twirl tangles of garlicky, lemony fresh zucchini around your fork, spear a sweet cherry tomato half and hope that a tender, toasted pine nut is tucked somewhere inside. It’s remarkably satisfying to eat your vegetables this way.
- 1 tablespoon really good extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Pinch of salt
- a few cracks of freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium zucchini
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients into a jar, such as a mason jar, and shake to combine thoroughly. Adjust to taste.
- Julienne the zucchini. You can try to do it by hand, but a mandoline creates perfect strands. I used the mandoline on each side of the zucchini until I got near the center, where the seeds made the strands too weak and they started to fall apart.
- Toss the zucchini strands with the dressing. Plate the zucchini. Scatter the tomatoes, pine nuts and basil over the zucchini. Garnish with a sprinkle of parmesan.
- Serves one as a light lunch or two as a side dish