Freshly ground peanut butter isn’t a new thing, I remember my mom picking it up for us at the health food store as kids. It came out of a huge red grinder and was packed in tiny plastic tubs. What is a little newer is the increase in other nut butters: almond, sunflower seed, cashew. I, personally, welcome them warmly.
Grab some apples, because this cashew butter is tasty and reminiscent of pie with its spicy kick.
- 3/4 cup cashews, divided
- 3 tablespoons to 6 tablespoons coconut oil, liquid (melt at low heat in a saucepan if needed)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Toast 1/2 cup of the cashews using or toaster oven or a regular oven at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes. You want them golden brown and fragrant.
- Add toasted cashews and raw cashews to food processor and process for approximately 1 minute. You will notice the nuts begin to crumble into small pieces, similar to a graham cracker crumbs. As you continue to grind, you will notice a darker/creamier looking layer beginning to assemble at the bottom of the processor. Keep going until the nuts all have this consistency.
- Scrape sides down and add 3 tablespoons of coconut oil. Blend further, adding additional coconut oil as needed until you have achieved a creamy consistency.
- Add pumpkin pie spice and salt, incorporating with a spoon or a quick turn in the processor.
- While I prefer using coconut oil without any coconut flavor for cooking, this recipe is even MORE delicious if you use one with the tropical taste! Trader Joe's is especially easy to find if there is one in your area!
- Substitute roasted/salted almonds for the 1/4 cup raw cashews for a slighty different nutty flavor.
Alyssa here: I made this with a touch of cinnamon and honey for Christmas gifts. Absolutely delicious and a big hit!
Latest posts by Carla (see all)
- Blood Orange and Rosemary Sparkling Cocktail - December 29, 2016
- Chocolate Peppermint Coffee (Buenos Aires Submarino Style!) - December 11, 2016
- Spiced Honey and Citrus Cocktails with #MixedWithTrop - November 14, 2016