A couple weeks ago, my friend Jennie mentioned celebrating with a glass of almond champagne from Trader Joe’s. ALMOND CHAMPAGNE? On a recommendation from a fellow champagne aficionado? SOLD.
If you have a Trader Joe’s in the area, run put right now and buy a bottle. The price is certainly right (about $6 in CA and $8 in OH, so it may vary depending on your state but will still be a complete steal) and it’s completely versatile. The almond flavor is present, but not overpowering in the slightest. For that reason, it’s fabulous by the glass but also lends itself beautifully to a cocktail.
If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s in your area, check out your local wine store and see if they carry a version. We’ve been able to find several options through online vendors as well, so don’t give up! If it turns out that you simply can’t find a bottle, we STILL love this recipe. Absolutely substitute your favorite sparkling wine- there is enough almond and orange flavor here to go around. We didn’t try it as a specific option, but if you’re substituting you may wish to add a drop or two of almond extract to add a little more nutty flavor.
- almond sparkling wine
- 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) Cointreau
- 40 toasted almonds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- a few orange wedges
- Grind together your almonds and sugar in a food processor until the almonds are crumbly and mixed well with the sugar. Mix in orange zest with a spoon. Transfer to a small plate.
- Wet the rim of your champagne glass with an orange wedge. Dip rim into the dish of sugar, coating well.
- Add Cointreau to the bottom of your champagne glass. Top off with sparkling wine, making sure your pour slowly so it doesn't overflow.
- Almond sparkling wine is easily found at Trader Joe's! If you can't find a version in your local store, stick with regular sparking wine- you will still get a tasty orange/almond combo with just the Cointreau and almond sugar.
Latest posts by Carla (see all)
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad with Homemade Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette - March 27, 2018
- Vietnamese Lemongrass Meatballs - January 19, 2018
- A Look at Don Q Gran Anejo Rum - January 11, 2018