Ahh, summer. The perfect time for icy cold drinks and frozen treats.
I’ve been on a freezing-random-things-in-my-freezer-to-see-what-happens kick recently. It’s a great plan: go classic with ice, decadent with ice cream and fun with flavored popsicles. But I never connected the dots between my beloved do-it-yourself frozen yogurt shop and my ice cream maker until just last week. Lucky for me, I finally figured it out and came up with this perfectly crisp and tangy limeade frozen yogurt.
As long as you have an ice cream maker, this recipe is simple and easy and will rival any fro-yo option you can find. I have used both homemade fresh-squeezed limeade and store bought and both are delicious options, so use whatever is best for you. I think the recipe would be amazing with some graham cracker crumbs mixed in at the end of the churning process to approximate key lime pie.
- 2 cups plain, whole milk yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups limeade
- 2/3 cups sugar (I've used 1/2 cup with decent results if you prefer less sugar!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel (if desired)
- Blend together lime peel (if used) and sugar until fine. Add yogurt, limeade and vanilla extract to blender. Blend until sugar is dissolved.
- Chill mixture in the refrigerator until cold, at least an hour or two.
- Churn according to your ice cream maker instructions.
- When using less sugar, the yogurt may not freeze quite as well. It will definitely harden up if you transfer it to a covered freezer-safe bowl and freeze for a few more hours.
If you’re in need of topping ideas, I have a nice little list going:
*shredded or toasted coconut
*graham cracker crumbs
*sugared lime zest (about 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon of lime zest, ground in a food processor until crumbly!)
* fresh fruit! specifically: raspberries or cherries
Last year, Alyssa was making this delicious Tuna Tartare with Wonton Chips!
Latest posts by Carla (see all)
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad with Homemade Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette - March 27, 2018
- Vietnamese Lemongrass Meatballs - January 19, 2018
- A Look at Don Q Gran Anejo Rum - January 11, 2018