You guys, I’m going to talk about tea. Again. I mean, I think we talk a lot about tea here- it’s one of the major contributors to the fact that Alyssa and I became best buddies at work: gossip over short walks to refresh our tea. On her first day of work in the desk next to mine, she opened her moving box and took out this tea warmer and I KNEW. Anyone with a tea warmer is a quality individual, you know?
Earl grey is one of my very favorite teas. In my opinion, you can’t go wrong with a bit of citrus in anything and bergamot is no exception. Did you know that earl grey tea traditionally refers ONLY to black tea that has had bergamot oil added to it? In honor of this delicious, fresh tea, I decided I HAD to mix it up with some coconut milk and make a refreshing treat that’s creamy and delicate.
In addition to the below ingredients, you’ll need two special items. First: a pop mold set! This one came from a local grocery, but was NOT my favorite because it was SO hard to get the pops out of the mold. I’m hoping that since it’s nearing the end of the hot season I’ll be able to find a better mold on sale. Second: a fine mesh sieve. I suppose you can omit this, but it really is the best way to get the strongest possible tea flavor. Really, truly.
- 1 can (14 oz) light coconut milk (if substituting an alternative milk such as almond or rice, use 1 and 3/4 cups)
- 4 earl grey tea bags
- 3 tablespoons sugar (I used raw sugar to make it extra caramel-y!)
- Heat coconut milk until it's very steamy (just before boiling). Add sugar and stir to mix.
- Add tea bags to mixture. Remove from heat, cover and let steep for 6 minutes.
- Remove tea bags from milk, squeezing until you've left the bags as dry as possible. This is where the sieve comes in handy- you can use your hands, but the milk is thick and slippery, making it hard to press. If using a sieve, just drop the bags in and press firmly with the back of a spoon.
- Stir mixture to blend well, then pour into your pop mold.
- Freeze for at least 3-4 hours, then pull out of your mold and enjoy!
One of the best parts of these pops? Totally special-diet friendly. Have a gluten free friend? Check! Vegan? Check! Seriously perfect for a mixed crowd.