I received this product as part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Weave Made Media and Farm Fresh To You, but all my opinions are my own. #weavemade #farmfreshtotable http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV
So, you might have heard that I got a grill. It’s basically changed my life. Sure, that’s *slightly* hyperbolic, but not too far off the mark! I feel like it’s so much easier and faster to cook this way- and it doesn’t warm up my entire kitchen in ninety degree heat. That’s a pretty conclusive argument, I’d say.
To go with my charred corn and burgers, I whipped up a quick basil soda. I noticed the drink option on a restaurant menu when I was in Portland in May and needed to order it right away. Basil is such a unique ingredient: sweet and spicy and fresh all at once. I was hooked from the first sip.
In order to get started with this recipe, round up a big bunch of fresh organic basil. Did you know that basil wilts quickly if you store it in the refrigerator? After years of floppy basil I finally figured out the proper storage tip: put it in a jar, bouquet-style right on your counter. Smells great, looks pretty, lasts for days.
For my basil, I partnered up with Farm Fresh to You, a delivery box service bringing organic fruits and vegetables right to your door. Seriously- this is a brilliant thing. I’m lucky enough to have multiple local farmers markets, but sometimes I just can’t make it to one of them on the weekend and then I’m driving miles out of the way to fill up my fridge. It gets aggravating because of the time involved and the limited selection of organic product at my nearest markets.
My favorite feature about Farm Fresh to You was their option to customize your box. Completely brilliant, folks. Not only can you go into your account and select which items you would always like to exclude (perfect for allergies or picky palates), but you can log in the week before your box arrives and adjust your order to suit your needs! For my box, I was able to increase my corn count from three ears to four ears and add the basil I needed to make my soda. It was painless and convenient- music to my ears.
Apart from the basil, you won’t need much else to get this soda going. You’ll ideally want to get started the night before you want to serve your basil, but don’t fret if you only have a couple hours.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 bunch of fresh organic basil, roughly chopped or torn into pieces
- sparkling water or club soda
- Bring water and sugar to a boil over high heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add fresh basil, stirring to combine.
- Let sit for at least an hour to cool. Preferably, refrigerate overnight.
- Once cool, strain the simple syrup into a jar.
- To make your drink, stir one to two tablespoons into 8 ounces (one cup) of sparkling water or club soda.
- Your basil simple syrup will keep in your refrigerator for about a week. I like to store it in a tightly covered jar.
- Sound like the perfect start for a cocktail? I agree. Gin would be my preference, but you can also try vodka or light rum.
Make sure you serve the drink chilled- it’s refreshing and cool and has such a unique flavor. And if you thought it’d be a great cocktail base? I HAVE TO AGREE. I’d throw a shot of gin in, but you might like to try vodka or light rum. Add some cucumber or strawberry slices for an extra flavor shot to either the non-alcoholic or cocktail version!
If you’d like to try your own box from Farm Fresh to You, click here to see if they deliver to your area. And for an extra discount, save $15 off your first box with the code WEAVE15!
Want to see more of this beautiful picnic where I shared my Basil Soda? Head over to the MontgomeryFest blog for more pretty!
Latest posts by Carla (see all)
- Oat Milk Chai Latte - March 20, 2019
- Churro Marshmallow Squares - February 12, 2019
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad with Homemade Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette - March 27, 2018