Cookies. I’m game for cookies year round, but they certainly have a great opportunity to shine during the holiday season when folks are mixing and beating and creaming butter and sugar together. (Side note: YUM.) This week I joined folks for The Sweetest Season’s Sweetest Cookie event to share these Peppermint Chocolate Mexican Wedding Cookies. (Don’t be scared: the cookies are long on words, but short on prep time.
This recipe is quick and easy- which makes it perfect for cookie exchanges, but I would advise making smaller batches of the recipe below rather than doubling up. Mixing in the flour to the wet ingredients is much easier with room to move.I always sift my powdered sugar before rolling to avoid lumps- is this a thing? Am I just a perfectionist? (It could be both of those things, I suppose.)These sweet little cookies have the crumbly texture of Mexican Wedding Cookies with bonus peppermint and chocolate flavors- plus they look like snowballs! Score.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 cups flour
- powdered sugar, sifted into a shallow bowl or plate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat together the granulated sugar, brown sugar and butter in a mixer set on medium until creamy.
- Add melted chocolate and peppermint extract and beat until mixed.
- Add flour in two batches until combined into a soft dough which pulls away from the edges of the bowl.
- Form dough into one inch balls and set onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until dough is firm.
- Remove cookie sheet from oven and slide parchment paper off to cool the cookies. After 5 to 10 minutes, while the cookie is still warm, roll in powdered sugar and set on a rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled completely, re-roll each cookie in powdered sugar.
row two: The Speckled Palate | The Gift of Gab | think fruitful | Majorly Delicious | Sugar Dish Me | An Oregon Cottage | A Savory Feast | The Foodie Patootie | Twin Stripe | Hidden Fruits and Veggies
row three: Appeasing a Food Geek | DC Girl in Pearls | Bessie Bakes | Brunch with Joy | Cooking With Libby | 2 Cookin Mamas | Lou Lou Biscuit | Me and My Pink Mixer | Wetherills Say I Do | The Little Epicurean |
row four: The Emotional Baker | Cake ‘n Knife | Glisten and Grace | Meredith Noelle | The Secret Ingredient [is love] | SammaSpot | Hey There Sunshine | Natasha Red Blog | Flavors & Sabores | Macheesmo
row five: Beer Girl Cooks | My California Roots | Butchers Niche | The Skinny Pot | Sustaining the Powers | Feast + West | Not Your Average Southern Belle | Vanilla And Bean | Our Life Inspired | That Square Plate
Be sure to check out our blogs to see all of our cookie recipes throughout the week! We’re using the hashtag #sweetestseasoncookies on social media this week, and we’re joining even more bloggers baking cookies, so it’s going to be a grand time!
Now, on to the giveaway!
We’re giving away The Sweetest Cookie Prize Pack, and it is worth $690! See the Rafflecopter below to enter to win this amazing set of cookie baking goodies. The prize pack includes:
- One KitchenAid 5-Qt. Artisan Design Series Stand Mixer with Glass Bowl in Sugar Pearl Silver // $315 value
- One $50 Bob’s Red Mill gift card and one exclusive set of Bob’s Red Mill products: One 5-lb. bag Organic All Purpose Flour, one 5-lb. bag Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, one 40-oz. bag Almond Meal, one 28-oz. bag Sparkling Sugar, one 28-oz. bag Cane Sugar // $95 value
- Two 4-lb. bags of Imperial Sugar/Dixie Crystals granulated sugar, one My First Cookbook and a silicone baking mat // $50 value
- Coupons for $40 worth of Cabot Creamery products, including butter and yogurt // $40 value
- One OXO Good Grips 5-Quart Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl // $35 value
- One Jenaluca Stainless Steel Medium Cookie Scoop // $33 value
- One 2-piece Calphalon Nonstick Baking Sheet Set // $30 value
- One 10” x 15” Stainless Steel Metal Cooling Rack // $25 value
- One 7-piece OXO Good Grips Multi-colored Nesting Measuring Beaker Set // $20 value
- One GIR: Get It Right Ultimate Spatula in Gray // $19 value
- One 5-piece R & M Snowflake Cookie Cutter Set // $10 value
- One OXO Good Grips 11” Balloon Whisk // $10 value
- One OXO Good Grips Silicone Cookie Spatula // $8 value
- Enter the giveaway through the Rafflecopter widget below. Everyone gets a free entry! You can enter multiple times, up to 65 total entries by following the giveaway sponsors on social media. (If you’ve followed in the past, that counts! Just enter the information as prompted.) All entries will be verified. No purchase is necessary to win.
- The giveaway is open until Saturday, December 19, 2015 at 11:59 p.m. CST. One winner will be chosen at random and e-mailed within 48 hours. Winners must claim prize within 48 hours of initial contact. The retail value of the prize is $690. Prizes listed above are the only ones available.
- Open to U.S. residents with a valid shipping address only. Must be 18 years of age as of December 5, 2015.
- To read all giveaway terms and conditions, visit the giveaway terms and conditions page or click the option in the Rafflecopter below to review them.
While this is not a sponsored post, I received free product from Imperial Sugar, Dixie Crystals and Bob’s Red Mill as part of The Sweetest Season Cookie Exchange. As always, all opinions and recipe are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Alyssa & Carla!