Cookies. I’m game for cookies year round, but they certainly have a great opportunity to shine during the holiday season when folks are mixing and beating and creaming butter and sugar together. (Side note: YUM.) This week I joined folks for The Sweetest Season’s Sweetest Cookie event to share these Peppermint Chocolate Mexican Wedding Cookies. (Don’t be scared: the cookies are long on words, but short on prep time.
This recipe is quick and easy- which makes it perfect for cookie exchanges, but I would advise making smaller batches of the recipe below rather than doubling up. Mixing in the flour to the wet ingredients is much easier with room to move.I always sift my powdered sugar before rolling to avoid lumps- is this a thing? Am I just a perfectionist? (It could be both of those things, I suppose.)These sweet little cookies have the crumbly texture of Mexican Wedding Cookies with bonus peppermint and chocolate flavors- plus they look like snowballs! Score.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 cups flour
- powdered sugar, sifted into a shallow bowl or plate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat together the granulated sugar, brown sugar and butter in a mixer set on medium until creamy.
- Add melted chocolate and peppermint extract and beat until mixed.
- Add flour in two batches until combined into a soft dough which pulls away from the edges of the bowl.
- Form dough into one inch balls and set onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until dough is firm.
- Remove cookie sheet from oven and slide parchment paper off to cool the cookies. After 5 to 10 minutes, while the cookie is still warm, roll in powdered sugar and set on a rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled completely, re-roll each cookie in powdered sugar.
row two: The Speckled Palate | The Gift of Gab | think fruitful | Majorly Delicious | Sugar Dish Me | An Oregon Cottage | A Savory Feast | The Foodie Patootie | Twin Stripe | Hidden Fruits and Veggies
row three: Appeasing a Food Geek | DC Girl in Pearls | Bessie Bakes | Brunch with Joy | Cooking With Libby | 2 Cookin Mamas | Lou Lou Biscuit | Me and My Pink Mixer | Wetherills Say I Do | The Little Epicurean |
row four: The Emotional Baker | Cake ‘n Knife | Glisten and Grace | Meredith Noelle | The Secret Ingredient [is love] | SammaSpot | Hey There Sunshine | Natasha Red Blog | Flavors & Sabores | Macheesmo
row five: Beer Girl Cooks | My California Roots | Butchers Niche | The Skinny Pot | Sustaining the Powers | Feast + West | Not Your Average Southern Belle | Vanilla And Bean | Our Life Inspired | That Square Plate
Be sure to check out our blogs to see all of our cookie recipes throughout the week!
While this is not a sponsored post, I received free product from Imperial Sugar, Dixie Crystals and Bob’s Red Mill as part of The Sweetest Season Cookie Exchange. As always, all opinions and recipe are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Alyssa & Carla!