I might be wrong, but there are few things that say “it’s the holidays!” to me more than Mariah Carey’s All I Want for Christmas is You. (This is the first Christmas song I listened to this year. It was early November. I’m not even ashamed. In fact, I just watched it again when I was looking for the link just now. Twice.) Some of the other holiday harbingers? My family’s yearly tamale-making party, advent calendars, PEPPERMINT. When Izze sent over bottles of their Sparkling Grapefruit, it reminded me of another sign: citrus! I’ve been told that oranges in stockings and as Hanukkah gifts became a tradition since they typically come in season around December- pretty neat, right? So I put all the citrus flavors I could think of into this pretty mocktail, just right for a midweek treat or with a shot of booze to share with loved ones.
(Love the coaster? DIY tutorial here!)
Get started with a short and simple recipe for mint simple syrup. This syrup uses a 2 to 1 water to sugar ratio so that it’s less sweet and perfect for mixing into your Sparkling Grapefruit soda.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- big handful of mint leaves, washed
- Heat water, sugar and mint leaves in a small saucepan until boiling and sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Strain syrup into a small jar/bottle and refrigerate.
- Will last in the refrigerator for about one week!
Shake 4 dashes of orange bitters into the bottom of your glass. Add a tablespoon of the mint simple syrup. Stir gently.
Add ice and top with IZZE Sparkling Grapefuit.
This drink is so good, full of citrus and mint flavors and is GREAT as a mocktail. It’s super versatile though, so feel free to add a shot of your favorite liquor. I tried vodka, gin, and rum and was super pleased with either of those options.
- 4 dashes orange bitters
- 1 tablespoon Half Sweet Mint Simple Syrup (recipe above)
- IZZE Sparkling Grapefruit
- For each drink add bitters and simple syrup to the bottom of glass.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Add ice and top with IZZE Sparkling Grapefuit.
- Add a shot of your favorite liquor to take this from mocktail to cocktail!
You can even make a mini bar setup with bunches of bottles and assorted liquor for your next get together! Boom- super easy.
Thanks to Izze for sponsoring this post!