We used to host some EPIC dinner parties in Tokyo. I’m talking about six-course meals, hours of playing Heads Up and Cards Against Humanity, and people heading home at four am. One of my favorite rules of entertaining is to have a signature cocktail that sets the tone for the dinner you’re about to serve. Pair it with complementary appetizers, and you just bought yourself an extra hour to prepare food if you’re running behind, stall for late guests, or enjoy your guests.
I’m not sure if we’ll get a Halloween party in this year, but if we did I would definitely serve these gorgeous, blood-red cocktails. Izze sent us some of their beautiful Sparkling Pomegranate, and since it’s FALL Y’ALL I had to add some ginger to it. Actually, it has ginger two ways – ginger ale and a candied ginger rim. The rim is totally optional but highly recommended. It adds a sweet/spicy element that makes this a party cocktail.
Pomegranate + ginger is a really versatile combination, so you can use pretty much any alcohol you want (or none! It’s equally delicious and lovely as a virgin cocktail). I would stick to clear alcohol to preserve the beautiful color though, like vodka, white rum, gin, or tequila. Although I generally don’t serve tequila at dinner parties before people have eaten anything…just a good rule to live by!
- 2 oz cold Izze Sparkling Pomegranate
- 1 oz cold ginger ale or ginger beer
- 1 oz cold vodka, white rum, gin or tequila
- 1/4 cup candied ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 cup sugar (possibly more)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon orange juice
- Maraschino cherries
- Orange peel
- Combine the chopped candied ginger and 1/2 cup of sugar in a food processor. Blitz until the sugar has become incorporated into the ginger. Add 1/4 cup of sugar and repeat. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar at a time and continue until the ginger has the consistency of wet sand. Pour enough ginger into a shallow dish to create a 1/4 inch thick layer.
- Combine the honey and orange juice in a small bowl and pour into a shallow dish. Dip the rim of your serving glass into the honey mixture first, then dip it into the ginger dish. Your glass will now be rimmed with honey and candied ginger!
- Combine the Izze Sparkling Pomegranate, ginger ale and alcohol in the rimmed serving glass. Garnish with orange peel and maraschino cherries (optional).
This post was created in collaboration with Izze. Thank you for supporting the brands we love that love us! ?