Thank you to Dunkin’ At Home for sponsoring this post!
If you’ve been reading here a while, you’ve definitely heard me mention that I went to school in New England. It’s the kind of thing I like to insert into conversations to prove that yes, I’ve seen snow and no, I haven’t always lived in California and yes, I have worn shoes that were not flip flops before. I loved my time there and to this day landing at Logan Airport makes me feel a little bit like I’ve come home- especially when I see my first Dunkin’ Donuts® stall near the gate.
Any college student can tell you that coffee should practically be listed on your diploma- “Best Beverage in a Supporting Role: Coffee.” For me, that coffee was Dunkin’ Donuts, ordered hot at 6:40ish every morning on my way to the parking lot. It sounds a little weird, perhaps, that I needed coffee to navigate a parking lot but I DID. The lot I was required to park in was literally three-quarters of a mile away from the business school. I’m not exaggerating this time, seriously. I GOOGLED IT.
Now imagine that you have a 3/4 mile walk at 7am in snow or rain or just freezing temps and you can understand why I held onto that cup so religiously every morning.
Knowing that story, it’s probably not a surprise to hear that Dunkin’ Donuts gives me the warm fuzzies. As you might imagine, I jumped at the chance to learn more about Dunkin’ At Home- Dunkin’ Donuts coffee in tasty Bakery Series® flavors that I can brew at home and treat myself to any morning I choose.
In the spirit of treating myself, I took the Cinnamon Coffee Roll flavor and decided to kick it up a notch with a Dulce de Leche Stir Stick- just the thing to add a sweet, caramel note to my cup.
These stir sticks are easy to make (they only require two ingredients!) and store well- pop any leftovers in the fridge, where they’ll last for weeks if wrapped in a bit of plastic wrap or stored in a plastic container.
I used food safe rock candy sticks and a mini muffin tin (both available in the baking/candy section of the craft store), but feel free to use popsicle sticks and even wood spoons if you can find them.
- one can of sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- spray oil
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk into two quart pot (I use stainless steel over non-stick!) and heat over medium high heat.
- Bring the milk to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. The milk will be thin at this point (right where you want it!).
- Stir continuously with a wire whisk until the milk has thickened, about ten to fifteen minutes. Once the milk is thick enough to pull up briefly from the bottom of the pot, add the sugar and combine.
- Continue whisking until the mixture is thick and the consistency of creamy peanut butter.
- Pour the milk evenly into the mini muffin tin (spray the tin with oil, if needed).
- Insert stir stick into the center of each muffin tin and allow to cool completely.
- Please note that you're essentially making candy- the mixture will be VERY hot, so please keep your fingers away from the mixture as you pour into the molds.
Swirl the stick around to help it melt!
The dulce de leche stir stick won’t melt completely, but every swirl around your mug will generate a lovely waft of cinnamon coffee scent and add a milky, caramel sweetness.
I love keeping these stir sticks on hand, but they also make great gifts- you can even pair them with a bag of coffee!
Do you have a great coffee memory too? Tell me all about it!