True story: a few weeks ago I was visiting Alyssa and her mom for a delicious homemade dinner when Alyssa told me to help myself to the Blood Orange and Rosemary simple syrup in the fridge. Who has delicious simple syrup just hanging out, ready for visitors? Alyssa, that’s who.
The syrup was so yummy, I just couldn’t wait to recreate it and share it here on the blog. Even better, this flavorful, brightly-hued syrup is the perfect complement to our partnership with Mionetto Prosecco and their refined Prestige Brut.
Blood oranges are a seriously beautiful citrus fruit. Apart from their stunning red color, they are a just-right blend of tart and sweet in a juicy little package.
The fact that blood oranges originated in Italy is just another reason I knew they’d be the perfect complement to Mionetto Prosecco. Since it’s founding in Italy in 1887, Mionetto has been an internationally recognized leader in Prosecco and sparkling wines from Northeast Italy. The Mionetto Prestige Brut in particular is full of fresh flavor (mostly green apple, pear and honey notes) that is perfectly elegant.
While the Mionetto Prosecco is a great option for celebrations (like the New Year holiday this weekend, hint hint!), it is also perfectly affordable and suitable for any night of the week- and you’ll have plenty of blood orange and rosemary syrup on hand to whip up a cocktail whenever you want it.
The Mionetto Prestige Brut even has a full range of bottle sizes- from mini bottles (187 ML) to a standard 750 ml bottle to the large magnum 1.5 liter bottle that’s just dying to accompany you to your next party.
A note about the simple syrup: the rosemary in this simple syrup adds just a touch of herbal flavor. It is possible to over-steep the rosemary, so be sure that you remove the sprig of rosemary from the simple syrup while it’s cooling.
- 1 cup freshly-squeezed blood orange juice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary (approximately 3-4 inches long)
- Mionetto Prestige Brut
- Heat the blood orange juice, sugar, and rosemary over medium heat until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove rosemary sprig from the simple syrup and allow to cool completely.
- Chill the simple syrup in the refrigerator for several hours.
- Add two tablespoons of blood orange and rosemary simple syrup to the bottom of your glass.
- Top with chilled Mionetto Prestige Brut.
- If possible, prepare the simple syrup the day before so it's extremely chilled when you use it!
- The simple syrup will keep for at least a month when stored in the refrigerator in a sealed jar.
Feel free to adjust the amount of simple syrup used to suit your tastebuds- you can’t go wrong.
PS- If you’re looking for more prosecco cocktail ideas, be sure to see our last partnership with Mionetto Prosecco where we made Fresh Strawberry Jus Sparking Cocktails!