Bacon! Smoked Cheddar! Creamy avocado! Crispy fried wontons!
Do I have your attention yet? I can keep going. . .
This egg roll combines some of my favorite things into a compact, crunchy package. Fresh sweet corn, smoky bacon, melty cheddar, spicy chorizo, sweet red peppers and crunchy fried wonton, all dipped in cool, creamy avocado dip.
Egg rolls have a reputation for being annoying to make, so I was suprised when these weren’t that difficult or time consuming. These egg rolls are not something I’ll make every day, regardless of how delicious they are, but they’re a great treat for company or a special occasion. Here’s a quick gif to help you wrap them snugly:
One year ago: skillet roasted okra. For non-slimy okra, dry roast them in a cast iron skillet!
- 6 strips bacon, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 lb ground chorizo
- 2 ears fresh sweet corn, kernels cut off the cobb.
- 3/4 cup cubed smoked cheddar, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2 green onions, white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 10-12 wonton wrappers, about 7 inches square
- 1 egg
- oil for frying
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the bacon and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined-plate.
- Add the chorizo to the pan and cook through. Drain on a paper towel lined-plate.
- When cooled, crumble the bacon into smaller pieces. Combine it in a medium bowl with the chorizo, corn kernels, cheddar, red peppers and onions. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Test temperature by dropping a small piece of wonton into it. The oil is ready when the wonton becomes golden brown in about 2 minutes.
- Make an egg wash by beating the egg wtih 1 tablespoon of water.
- Roll the egg rolls (see the gif in the post for help!). Lay 1 wonton wrapper on a cutting board like a diamond. Brush the egg wash around the edges of the wrapper. Lay 1/4 cup of filling in the center of the egg roll. Bring the bottom corner up to cover the filling. Fold the left and right sides in to the center. Roll the filling up to the final corner and seal closed. Repeat with the remaining wonton wrappers.
- Fry in the oil for about 2 minutes per side, until golden brown. Let the egg rolls cool on a cooling rack for a few minutes before serving.
- Makes about 10 egg rolls.
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- optional: salt to taste
- Mash the avocado in a small bowl.
- Add the sour cream, milk and lime juice. Mix well to combine. Add salt if necessary (I didn't need it).
- For a spicy version, add a teaspoon of the adobo sauce that chipotles are packed in.